Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Melissa McGurren




I recently conducted this mini-interview of Melissa McGurren for SHORE Magazine...






Melissa McGurren // WTMX Radio, Chicago

Melissa is the traffic anchor on one of the top-rated morning shows in Chicago, the Eric and Kathy show on the Mix, WTMX (101.9). Melissa grew up in Portage, Indiana, and got her start in radio working in Hammond and Merrillville before scoring the gig as the “sexy” traffic reporter on the Mix. She has won several awards for her work on the Eric and Kathy show.

Radio Philosophy

Know a little about a lot. Be genuine.

Least Favorite Song

I do not, I repeat, do not like the song “Beautiful Girls,” by Sean Kingston.

Favorite Brush with Greatness

Suze Orman. Not that I think she has all the answers to managing money properly, but she sure made me rethink how I deal with my own money managing!!

Best Advice

Appreciate every moment of a successful show . . . it won’t last forever! Believe me . . . I do!

Best Thing about Doing Radio Here


The Chicagoland area, which includes Northwest Indiana, has the most dedicated listening audience, which keeps me employed. Thank you, everyone!! I grew up in the Portage and Valparaiso area. Now I get to come to work and embarrass my friends and family from these cities by talking about them on the air. That means many people in the region walk around knowing I’ve shared some of their private moments. Okay, okay, so I haven’t been that bad. I at least ask before I tell! I’ve found everyone has a funny story.