Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Ric Federighi




I recently conducted this mini-interview of Ric Federighi for SHORE Magazine...








Ric Federighi/WIMS, Michigan City

Ric Federighi had a long successful radio career in Chicago, primarily as an award-winning traffic reporter, before coming to Indiana. He is the general manager (and owner) of WIMS-Radio, a talk radio station in Michigan City (1420 AM). He also hosts the morning show every weekday from 6-9 a.m.

Radio Philosophy

Know your audience. Be worldly and local as well. Being prepared is the key to success, but also letting the show flow is even more important. There are days when you have a ton of info and subjects from world and local news, to music and sports, and it is all out the window due to the audience participation. Let the audience speak in an “open forum.” To be a moderator can really help to be fair and let out both sides.

Favorite Brush with Greatness

Meeting Dick Clark at a convention in the ’80s and having an in-depth conversation with him was incredible. He actually gave me advice that I always remembered and told myself in challenging times in my career. He told me to follow my dream (he asked me what my goal was and I told him to own a station or two) and he was impressed at how young I was to be attending the National Association of Broadcasters convention.

Radio Influences

Aside from Dick Clark, Greg Solk was someone I watched as a young talent work his way up the ladder and show it can be done on the management side of radio. (He was the program director of the Loop in the ’80s, and is now the VP of Programming for Bonneville, which owns the Mix, the Drive, and many other stations around the country.) I also enjoyed Patti Haze, John Fisher, and Steve Dahl (on the Loop), and enjoyed speaking with Norm Winer (the program director of WXRT) at an early age while attending a radio conference as a college student.

Best Advice

“Follow your dreams—When one door closes another one opens.” It came from my father right before he passed away. I was working for WLS radio and for Shadow Traffic at the time, and I had the opportunity to work for Greg Solk and the Loop, which was one of my goals and dreams. I followed my heart and accepted the gig at the Loop, and I am so glad I did that. I would not have gotten to where I am today . . . Thanks, Dad.

Best Perks

Meeting new people all the time. You meet a number of different people on a number of levels. I love what I do. I wake up every day and know I am doing exactly what I set out to do as young boy . . . now how many people can say they love their gigs?